How do we still have a sense of certainty in uncertain times?
How can certainty be encouraged within an organisation?
Encouraging certainty within an organisation helps create stability, reduce anxiety, and foster a culture of psychological safety and engagement. Strategies to promote certainty within an organisation:
- Provide regular updates and information about organisational goals, strategies and changes. Clearly communicate expectations, roles, and responsibilities to ensure that employees clearly understand their objectives.
- Clearly define organisational goals and priorities. Breaking these down into actionable steps gives employees a sense of direction and clarity about what and where to focus their time, energy, and efforts.
- Provide constructive, specific, and timely feedback to employees regarding their performance.
- Develop a structured framework of processes and procedures for various tasks and operations.
- Promote employee development, which increases confidence and provides certainty about career progression.
- Encourage employee involvement in decision-making. Seek input, opinions, and ideas when making significant organisational changes or decisions. This increases a sense of ownership and involvement in the organisation’s future.
- Provide mentorship and coaching support to help employees navigate challenges, advice and reassurance.
- Create a positive work environment where mutual trust, respect, and collaboration are valued. Encourage teamwork, celebrate successes, and promote a sense of camaraderie among employees. When employees feel supported and connected to their colleagues, it creates a sense of belonging.
- Leaders can role model behaviours that promote certainty. Demonstrate transparency in decision-making processes, be consistent in actions and communication, and provide stability during times of change.